Friday, January 25, 2008

Nearing the end

My father-in-law is in the hospital and they have stopped all treatment for the leukemia. Nothing is helping any more: not the weekly blood transfusions; not the chemo; nada. He can't swallow very well so his diet is pretty much liquids, ice cream and Jell-O.

I'm taking a couple of days off of work next week. My wife and I will be driving up to say our goodbyes some time this weekend.

I wish I could end on a hopeful or pithy or poignant note, but I got nuthin'.

1 comment:

John A Hill said...

Very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I wish I had some great words of encouragement for you and your wife. Please extend my sympathy to her.

Cancer is no respecter of persons. Tomorrow will find me at the visitation for a thirty-something mother that died Thursday morning. I don't know how a dad explains that to their two young boys.

Drive careful, be well.