Wednesday, June 07, 2006

That's the way...

Billy Preston died yesterday. I don't have too many living musical heroes left.

I wish I believed in a better place. I wish I could picture Billy and George Harrison back together, jamming and grinning. George always loved the way Billy played, and Billy was one of the highlights of George's otherwise pretty much universally panned 1974 tour, dubbed the "Dark Hoarse" tour by some wags because George's voice was so badly strained. (He played my home state on that tour but, regrettably, I didn't get to see him.)

At least I still have the music and the memories - that exuberant keyboard playing, the grin he always had when he was making music, the way he made those around him happy.

As I always say when one of my favorite musicians dies, please play some of your favorite music in his honor.

Peace

No comments: